Day Eight: Katmai NP or Lake Clark NP
Katmai National Park Bear Viewing. (10-12 hours)
This morning, begin your “crème de la crème” adventure to view coastal brown bear feeding on salmon at Brooks Falls in Katmai National Park.
The federally-protected Katmai National Park and Preserve is world famous for Alaska brown bear viewing. Accessible only by air, this is Alaska wilderness in its rawest form. Our fly-out Katmai bear viewing adventure takes you to Brooks Falls, where three bear viewing platforms connected by elevated boardwalks allow for close, unobstructed and extraordinary bear viewing in Katmai National Park. In July, lured by spawning salmon, as many as fifty bears can be seen at once along the 1.5-mile Brooks River.
Katmai bear viewing at Brooks Falls is self guided, but Katmai National Park Rangers provide an initial briefing upon arrival and are available for questions. An on-site wait list for the Lower River bear viewing platform may be implemented when visitation reaches capacity, to ensure quality bear viewing. Departing from Lake Hood, Anchorage, you fly over Cook Inlet, the Alaska Range, remote islands, before landing on either Brooks or Naknek lake in Katmai National Park and Preserve. Katmai is home to the world’s largest population of Alaska brown bears and the famed Valley of Ten Thousand Smokes – a forty square mile, 100 to 700 foot deep ash flow deposited by Novarupta Volcano in 1912.
The Katmai Bear Viewing Experience:
- Intimate two-three hour scenic flight seeing tour from Anchorage; flight times vary based on weather and plane type.
- Box lunch provided upon arrival at Katmai National Park
- Katmai bear viewing at Brooks Falls – watch them catch jumping salmon!
- Wildlife watching on return flight for beluga whales, moose and Dall sheep
- A window seat and 2-way headset; ask your pilot questions!
- Detailed knowledge (and personality) of an Alaska bush pilot
- Meticulous attention to comfort and safety
- Courtesy shuttle from the Anchorage airport and many Anchorage hotels
Depart Anchorage 8 a.m. Return Anchorage 6 to 8 p.m. Times are approximate and are for general planning only.
This evening, upon your return, you will transfer to the Anchorage airport for a flight home. Be sure to not make your flight before 11 PM.